City of Waterville
Waterville, Kansas was established in 1870 as a pioneer town at the end of the railroad and beside the Little Blue River. When the railroad decided to extend West exactly 100 miles from Atchison, Kansas, the site for the City was determined. It was named by William Osborne, a railroad superintendent, for his hometown of Waterville, New York. Waterville has been a member of the Kansas Power Pool since 2012.
Waterville is known for its famous Opera House, which was built in 1903, is located across the street from the Missouri Pacific Railroad tracks and the National Register-listed Weaver Hotel. Designed by Frankfort, Kansas architect A. W. Snodgrass, this two-story limestone building was constructed by area craftsmen with locally quarried limestone and has remained in the ownership of the City since its construction. The bottom floor was built to house the City’s government offices, library, banquet room, kitchen, restrooms, and dressing rooms. An auditorium and raised stage have always occupied the second-floor space.